There are so many physical and emotional benefits from yoga. I started practicing it as a way to balance my emotions during my divorce and my son Scotty’s cancer treatments. Looking back over the last 12 years I know yoga was one of the biggest tools I used to help keep me sane.
At the time, I was in school to become certified as a massage therapist. I learned about Chinese medicine and how important yoga, tai chi and meditation is for the soul. It’s hard to take the time for yourself as a mom and wife with all the demands we have pulling us in different directions. It is essential that we take time for ourselves to nurture, nourish and reflect. By taking time for ourselves each day we become more emotionally balanced, patient, loving (because after all if you don’t/can’t love yourself, how can you truly love others?) giving and present.
I love yoga because of all the benefits it can give you without taking a toll on your body. Simply fitting in 30-60 minutes a day to exercise is all you’ll need. Whether it’s power walking with your baby in the stroller, going to the gym, doing a yoga class or DVD (that’s what I always use) or any other myriad of workouts you do from home or at the gym. I love my one and only Yoga DVD.
You will not regret starting yoga and can honestly start at any age! There are tons of benefits to gain when you practice yoga. I know I am blessed to have done it all these years!
- Increase in endurance, strength and flexibility
- Mental endurance and physical stamina are tested through holding postures for extended breaths
- Arm and shoulder strength is increased as you use your own body weight for resistance
- Lats, traps and other back muscles begin to support the spine better than before
- Abdominals and obliques are refined and toned through building core muscles
- Posture begins to correct itself over time
- Hip flexors are stretched and strengthened
- Glutes, quads, hamstrings and calves are strengthened
No matter what ails your aching body or you just want to take your fitness to a higher level, power yoga’s ability to build muscle has an undeniable effect on your whole body.
Here are some things I LOVE to use while doing yoga:
- Get this in every color
- This is the only Yoga DVD I’ve ever used and absolutely love it
- Light support for Yoga is all you need
- I love these yoga pants and get comments on them all the time PLUS they are on SALE for $35 off!!!
- You’ll need this and this (or this which has both and it’s a killer deal for $25!) if you get the DVD I recommended for home workouts
xo, Tammy & Lora